Lunch Matters

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Where did it all begin?

I guess when I sit down now to think about it, it all began a long time ago when a little girl opened her lunchbox to reveal the goodies that her mother had so lovingly packed way back in the 70's. Inside my lunch box were all sorts of things that reminded me of home. Tabbouleh pita pockets lined with hummus, taramasalada sandwiches, apple cucumbers, sliced kiwi, half a passionfruit...it was all out there back then. My mum loved to prepare food for her family and lunches were no exception! Mum made a commitment long before childhood eating habits were on the National agenda that her children would be exposed to the foods of the world and sugary treats would not be something her children would become accustomed to. It must be said that there were days when I would have readily traded my tongue sandwiches for one of the tic-toc biscuits that my friends had packed in their lunchboxes but looking back now and looking at the legacy that she has left me to pass on to my children, I will always be grateful that she took the time and care to pack lunches for us like she did. There was always a little bit of her in those boxes and my memories are fond.
So today here I sit as one of the founding partners of Lunch Matters. A business that is making its business the promotion of healthy lunches for children. I have taken all that my mother shared with me and am now hoping to inspire other parents who are looking to pack interesting lunches for their children. Technology means that the act of sharing is instantaneous. I can pack a lunch for my boys, take a digital photo and within minutes people from all over the world can take a look at what's on offer in our household today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home